Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Acts Shows Us How

Thank God there are more and more of His people looking into and embracing the understanding that He desires His Body to function as an ecclesia not just a gathering.  Of course, this is not a new idea, but a returning to a forgotten foundation.  There are many good teachings available concerning the governing role of the ecclesia in shaping history for His glory.  I just listened to a recent one from Jim Hodges, www.fmci.org , where he made a great statement.  Speaking of the corporate Body of Christ he said, "We need to be congressional not just congregational."  This is key for us to grasp and implement.

There are many new approaches being taken to help apply and engage the function of the ecclesia.  As a leader, I, like many others, am asking, "How do I go about this and what am I to lead us in doing."  As I considered that, I reflected back to how we see the 1st century Church adjusting and reforming even within the first generation of its existence.  I thought back to messages about how the Church functioned in Jerusalem, and then how it did different things in Antioch.  We can also see that a different function happened in Ephesus. I guess I had processed those before to present the idea that change can and should happen for further advancement of the Kingdom.  I saw each location as a progression forward.  I still think there is accurate understanding in that, but as I looked at it again I recognized something that was helpful to me.

Instead of these Churches being progressive in change, I saw them as the needed components FOR change.  All three presented a needed element for change, further development, and function of the ecclesia.  I think there is opportunity to see a trinity of needed characteristics that we can apprehend and work toward.

In Acts 9:27, we see the apostles held council in Jerusalem.  We see in Acts 11:27 that prophets came from Jerusalem, and certainly Acts 15 reveals the council in Jerusalem.  I noticed in Acts 9:31 that the Church in the region had peace and was being built up.  This helped me see the need for the 5 Fold gifts to have a strong, healthy base to work in and from.  This is not a new idea, but I saw this as one of the three needed elements for a Kingdom Center/Ecclesia to happen and be effective.  We need to have the 5 Fold pouring into and developing a strong congregation.

Next, as I looked at Antioch, I saw in Acts 11:30 the need for the ecclesia to send people into assignments, funded and resourced.  We all know Antioch was a sending center, but if we want effective Kingdom Centers, we must develop people to see beyond themselves and beyond their local congregation.  The Ecclesia must be those looking to solve problems in what is around them and also what is beyond them.

Thirdly, I looked at Ephesus and the change that happened there as Paul parked himself for two years to gave himself to the development of leaders.  Acts 19:1-10, explains how some were unwilling to move from what had been so he got with the hungry ones and developed them.  This speaks of the desperate need we have for Kingdom Centers to be developing leaders for each family's house, the church house, the marketplace, and the state house.  We need to develop Kingdom minded, Biblical worldview, covenant leaders to work within culture to bring forth His glory.

I don't think any of this is new revelation for many as it comes to the individual functions of each of these 1st century Churches.  To me, the freshness for this moment was to see each one revealed an aspect needed in modern day Kingdom Centers/Ecclesia;  1) a base for 5 Fold gifts to pour into and develop strong healthy congregations 2) responding to assignments beyond ourselves and sending people resourced and funded 3) create the avenues in which to develop leaders that will impact culture.

I believe that if we go to work developing Kingdom Centers in regions that will carry and produce these three elements, we could see a truer function of the Ecclesia come forth and more of His glory revealed. I am working on implementing these three elements in my location.  If more and more do the same, in a generation or two we have a different thing going on.

Maybe seeing these as elements of a whole and not just as progressive helps us see what Acts is showing us for today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment