Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Some Thoughts on Prayer


To me, it seems like I can find myself struggling with the basic things as I desire what appears to be deeper things.  Prayer has always been part of my life.  I have heard and read many teachings on prayer and do my best to embrace the fullest measure of what is prayer.  With theological battles over how much of a role we as people play and how much is determined regardless, I can find myself battling how to approach prayer in a deeply convinced way.  I don't think I go through the motions, but I do feel I needed to see some realities of prayer for myself and not just someone else's teaching on it.  So tonight I am doing a brief teaching on prayer that has risen in my heart.  See if you find it helpful.  

To start, I see that prayer does 3 important things (I'd expect there to be a longer list, but I am wanting to touch on basics)

  • Prayer effects your heart
  • Engages your enemies by pronouncing their defeat
  • Shapes the atmosphere. 


I see scripture revealing that by connecting Matthew 6 (Lord's Prayer) and Ephesians 6 (warfare prayer).
(Effecting our heart) Matt 6:9-10 shows prayer effects our heart by us turning to Him and recognizing Him as the Highest, the Superior. Our hearts humble before His hallowedness/holiness. Our hearts turn to desire His desires above ours.
(Engaging our enemies by pronouncing their defeat) Matt 6:11-13 shows enemies are pushed back by pronouncing they don't have a hold and can't restrain. We get bread, we forgive, we are forgiven, temptation can't capture us, and we are free from evil. Our enemies are resisted (James 4:7) through prayer as we rehearse the victory of Jesus and His provision for us.
(Shape atmosphere) Eph 6:12-20 shows us that prayer shapes the atmosphere as those verses connect prayer and contending with the powers in the atmosphere. Verse 18 speaks of prayer being our effort "to that end", the end of contending with powers in the atmosphere. Prayer is the weapon/tool by which to shape an atmosphere.  
I understand there to be different aspects of prayer available to us.  That is not the topic for this writing, but I do want to make the next comment with 2 areas of prayer in mind.  Both prayer as intercession/asking/requesting and prayer as - declarative/legislative/prophetic positions our hearts to humbly ask for His involvement and also to partner with Him to pronounce in the earth as things are in heaven.
I am hoping to get a better hold on this myself. I hope to better participate in what He has called us to in this aspect of His Kingdom. This is the work of the Bride, a son, an ambassador.
His grace enables us.

No comments:

Post a Comment